Friday, September 17, 2010

Turkish Coffee

Turks drink 245 million glasses of tea every day - that was news in yesterday's paper. With a population of 73 million, that only allows for 3 and 1/3 glasses per person. When you work the math, the number actually sounds a little low to me. It is by far the most popular drink. But there is some coffee drinking going on also. Turkish coffee is usually made one or two cups at a time and served in an espresso size cup. The coffee itself is very finely ground - I would call it coffee powder. The coffee and water are heated together in a little pot and after the coffee has boiled and foamed, it is poured in the cup. Sip slowly and carefully, as all the coffee powder is in the bottom of the cup.
When you have finished your coffee, place the saucer over the cup, give it a little swirl
and turn it over. Now it is ready to cool before having your fortune read.
An expert is needed to read the symbolism in your coffee grounds. Birds are good, but I don't see any in this cup. The handle of the cup marks the 12 o'clock position. So, if you had a bird at 3 o'clock, that would mean good news in 3 hours or 3 days or 3 weeks. The three is specific, but not the unit of time.


Not this, but another cup of Turkish coffee I drank, yielded the good fortune that I would be receiving lots of money. My reader is very new at this, but all encourage me to buy a lottery ticket. I was not so sure about this, and the lottery ticket costs $8. So I went for the 1/2 ticket for $4. The drawing is this Sunday evening. If I win a million dollars, my husband will retire for good. In the meantime, he is going to work.






No comments:

Post a Comment