Sunday, November 27, 2011

Anadolu Feneri by the Black Sea

On a fairly sunny day this week, I took the bus up to Anadolu Feneri on the Black Sea.  As the bus departed from the station of origin, I was the only one on the bus.  My own private 30 foot limo.  People did join me along the route, but most departed before the final stop at Anadolu Feneri, where just 4 of us disembarked
 The cats are doing very well in this village.
 The sky and Black Sea merged into the same pale gray color.  To the east of the Bosphorus opening to the Black Sea, there were lots of fishing boats.  Tankers and cargo ships waiting to head down the Bosphorus were to the west of the Bosphorus opening.
 The view to the east from the small park around the lighthouse, ...
 and an up close view of the lighthouse.  The gate to the lighthouse park was closed during my last vista, so I was happy to see it open this time.  The door to the lighthouse was locked, but a sign outside gave some further information. It was built in 1856 by the French, is 75 meters above sea level, is 20 meters in height and has visibility of 20 miles.  Previously, it was powered by a corded kerosene lamb, but now a filament lamb of 1000 watts is used. (Not sure if it was the French or the Turkish who did the translation into English, to generate these very talented lambs!)
 When I left home, the tankers and container ships were heading north from the Bosphorus to the Black Sea.  They travel in only one direction at any given point in time.  By the time I got to Anadolu Feneri, they were still heading north into the Black Sea.
 A little fall color around the houses of the village...

 I was disappointed to see my lavender colored restaurant not only closed, but for rent.  So I purchased some almonds and corn nuts in the little market and started walking back to the beach before the village.  This beach is closed to people, as it is part of the area belonging to the military.  The number of seagulls on this beach is impressive.  They have first shot at the local fish, and the fishing must be great.


By the time I got home, I looked out the window and the flow of traffic on the Bosphorus had changed.  Now all the tankers and container ships were heading south toward the Sea of Marmara.

No comments:

Post a Comment