Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kurban Holiday

Today marks the first of a five day holiday in Turkey - the Kurban Bayram.  The feast of the sacrifice commemorates  Abraham's near sacrifice of his son Issac, when an angel brings a sheep as the replacement offering.  I bought some cards  of 16th century miniatures depicting angels, thinking I might use them for Christmas cards.  Abraham was essentially cropped out of this picture, but the sheep/ram is nicely featured with the angel and Issac.

In my local neighborhood, year round, sheep are available.  People will buy the sheep and donate meat to the poor.

This time of year, there are many extra sheep brought in for the holiday.
A special yellow tent is set up behind the permanent pen to house all the additional sheep.

Fortunately, my mother-in-law takes care of this responsibility for us, so I don't need to look at one of these cute guys in the eye and send it off to the butcher.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment